Select Page


Welcome to


SEND Information Report


Click here to access Hampshire County Council’s website for Special Educational Needs Information

Holbrook Primary School.

SEN information Report September 2021

This report is updated annually for the start of the academic year.


The role of the SENCo is carried out by, Mrs L. Golding who can be contacted by parents visiting or telephoning the school office (01329 286011) and asking for a meeting or appointment.

Holbrook Primary School is a local authority mainstream school with a Resourced Provision for children with Education Health Care Plans (EHCPs) for Speech, Language and Communication needs or Autism as their priority area of need. The school has an inclusive ethos and we believe that the children who live in our community should be educated and provided for in their catchment school whenever possible. In 2000 the local authority identified Holbrook Primary School as an ‘accessible’ school and provided accessible toilets, rise and fall beds, hoists and other facilities to meet the needs of children who are wheelchair users, have mobility difficulties and/or complex needs.

How does your education setting know if children /young people need extra help and what do I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

All the adults working in the school have a responsibility to identify and address the needs of individual children. Children who are making slow progress, who may be struggling to hear or understand instructions, those with challenging behaviours, to give some examples, will be monitored by the teacher and remedies tried before the parents are approached to see if the school’s concerns are shared. However, we welcome parents and carers to share their concerns with the school at the earliest opportunity, starting with the class teacher or allocated Learning Support Assistant, LSA. The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator, SENCo, may be involved in discussion from the beginning or at a later date if the parents and teachers agree to try their own strategies and solutions first.

The majority of children who may have a delay in learning will be able to make progress and achieve as a direct result of quality first teaching in the classroom. Where tracking of progress indicates that this is slow to happen, the SENCo is able to support the teacher and parents by suggesting strategies to remove barriers and support learning. Examples include, looking at seating plans and positioning in the classroom of children who may have attention or hearing difficulties. If any difficulties persist a range of options are available. The SENCo may carry out a range of formal and informal assessments before involving other key staff in intervention programmes. For September 2021, these programmes include:

  • SIDNEY – Specific Intervention for Dyslexia, Notably Early Years – for children identified through a screening programme carried out in the summer term of Yr. R.
  • Language Link / NELI – An assessment tool and programme to support Speech and language.
  • Precision teaching – daily targeted learning for maths or literacy.
  • Literacy Toolbox: a daily intervention to fill the gaps in phonic knowledge, spelling and reading.
  • Talisman – A weekly intervention to support reading and comprehension
  • Arithmetic and number – daily support for specific gaps in numeracy.
  • FFT wave 3 – used to support difficulties with reading and writing
  • Memory Magic – used to support working memory

When school based strategies and interventions are not accelerating progress at the required rate (a ratio gain of at least 2:1) advice may be sought from other professionals and outside agencies, with parent’s permission. These include educational psychologists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, speech and language therapists and the child and adolescent mental health, CAMHS. As well as the SENCo, Mrs. East, our Home School Link Worker, is available to support parents and carers before and after meetings and attending joint meetings at the parent’s request.

How will both you and I know how my child / young person is doing and how will you help me support my child’s / young person’s learning?

Children identified with special educational needs, with or without an Education, Health and Care plan have a written Pupil Passport. The plan identifies the child’s strengths, areas of need, strategies for classroom management and records the interventions / strategies used in the classroom. A specific target sheet linked to the teaching and learning of the intervention is also produced. At the end of the intervention, the targets are evaluated and the success of the intervention reviewed. An intervention is deemed successful if the progress ratio is 2:1 but this should also be translated into progress in the classroom.

There is an allocated governor to meet with the SENCo and monitor the quality and success of SEN interventions and teaching. Currently Rebecca Duggan is the designated governor.  Information is given to the governors at the School Improvement Committee meeting every term.

Formal interventions have a time frame, e.g. FFT is 20 minutes a day, 5 times a week for 20 weeks. Sidney is 15 minutes a day, 4/5 sessions each week for 12 weeks.

Pupil Passports are shared with parents each half term with the opportunity to discuss with class teacher and SENCo via appointment.

Children with Educational Health Care Plans (EHCP) have at least one formal Annual Review per school year although two meetings are held in Yr. R and possibly in Year 5 to bring the meetings in line with transition arrangements to KS3. These children usually have ‘Home / School communication books to share information between home and school. This applies to all the children in the Resourced Provision, as their parents are often unable to attend school every day due to distance and siblings at other local schools.

Children who participate in an intervention have their progress measured over the time of the intervention and continue to be tracked as a filter group throughout their school career.

How will the education setting staff support my child/young person?

In Year R the progress of all children is tracked using the Early Learning Goals profile. Individual records, forwarded by the various preschools, are continued with children making progress starting from their own starting points. Reports and recommendations from other agencies, i.e. speech therapy or physiotherapy, are implemented from the beginning or as soon as the school is sent the appropriate records. The Yr. R teacher meets with the SENCo in November to review needs and progress, again in March and again in July to prepare children for Yr. 1. Next steps in learning are identified for all children and planned for accordingly.

Progress of all children in Years 1 to 6 is now tracked similarly to Year R using steps of achievement according to National guidelines. To identify where pupils are in their learning and what their next steps should be, to be able to plan for the different levels of attainment in reading, writing and mathematics. The vast majority of children will be taught in the classroom as a whole class or small groups according to the outcomes of the previous lesson. At times children will be taught on a 1 to 1 basis to meet their needs at that time and this may take place outside the classroom. Specific intervention programmes are identified in 2) above.

Progress meetings are held at least termly for every class and individual pupils who need to make accelerated progress to be in line with national expectations are identified. Quality first teaching will support the vast majority of pupils, including those with Special Educational Needs. However, the Hampshire Criteria Booklet for SENCo’s guides the identification of the children whose needs are so complex that they need provision that is different from and additional to the rest of the class.

How will the curriculum at your education setting be matched to my child/young person’s needs?

The school works closely with all advisors and therapists to incorporate their advice into a programme and the general environment to make the curriculum accessible to all children. For example, the school encourages children with similar impairments such as wearing hearing aids or wheelchair uses to share experiences and support each other with designated adults, i.e. with responsibility for monitoring hearing aid cleaning and efficiency, reporting the views of the children back to the SENCo / senior leadership team.

How is the decision made about what type of and how much support my child / young person will receive?

Strategies that are ‘different from and additional to’ include:

  • Use of technology- lap top, IPad
  • Augmentative communication – Makaton and BSL signing, PECS, hearing aids with radio aids, cochlear implants, visual schedules
  • Use of Social Stories – to aid communication and understanding, improve behaviour, re-enforce social skills
  • Physical adaptations- specialist furniture, grips
  • Adapted curriculum – PE (physiotherapy)
  • Access – visual schedules, both class and individual, simplified language, instructions broken down
  • Pre-teaching of vocabulary / concepts

Children are supported in a variety of ways:

  • 1 to 1 adult support in the classroom
  • Adult support in small groups in the classroom
  • 1 to 1 adult led interventions
  • Small group interventions (e.g. ELSA friendship group or therapeutic story writing.
  • Personal schedules
  • Individual technology including lap tops, Alphasmarts, IPad, Big Talk
  • Speech and language , occupational, physiotherapy exercises

Learning Support Assistants, LSAs, as a resource are allocated according to the direction on an EHCP for individual children. They are also allocated on a class basis depending on the needs of the children in the class.

Access arrangements for formal assessments (SATs) follow the guidance produced each year by the examining body. Children have the opportunity to practise the arrangements throughout Year 6 although some will have been practised during their whole school career i.e. dictating answers to a scribe or using a word processor. For children with EHCPs these arrangements will be discussed and recorded at Annual Review meetings.

How will my child be included in activities outside the school classroom including school trips?

All children are included in all school trips and activities.

The school has a member of staff trained as a MIDAS minibuses driver.

Advice is sought from medical sources as applicable, e.g. staff had training from a Diabetic nurse before taking a child with Type 1 diabetes on a residential visit. Parents have not been asked to accompany children on residential visits in the past although it has been accepted that some parents have needed the reassurance of being there. In these circumstances, an agreement has been drawn up so that both child and parent do have time away from each other, i.e. one parent joined every evening of the Yr. 4 visit to monitor her child at night.

Whenever possible children with challenging behaviours are included in all visits with risk assessments carried out and possible consequences and arrangements planned. As part of an IBMP, a parent or responsible adult may be asked to accompany a day visit or activity but this will be discussed with the parent /carer once planning for the activity starts.

What support will there be for my child’s/young person’s overall well-being?

There are allocated LSAs for individual children with EHC Plans as required. These LSAs will often administer medicines and monitor special diets of the children. Those children with complex needs usually have at least 2 adults identified as key workers to be able to provide cover at times of absence. 2 adults are assigned to a child with a EHC Plan for behaviour needs as it is acknowledged that this role can be too intense / demanding for 1 person.

The Emotional Literacy Support Assistant, ELSA, works directly with children with friendship or anger managements issues. They are also very involved in the programmes designed to support the children with behaviour difficulties including Individual Behaviour Management Plans, IBMPs. The Home School Link worker works with parents to support their children’s attendance in school; including those with long-term illness and those with challenging behaviours.

All children are encouraged to fully participate in pupil voice opportunities. If necessary, adults will coach those children who need support to prepare their speeches for election to the school council or house captain.

What training is provided for staff supporting children and young people with SEND?

The role of the SENCo is carried out by Mrs L. Golding who can be contacted by parents visiting or telephoning the school office and asking for a meeting or appointment (01329 286011). Mrs Golding is a fully qualified teacher who has completed the training for the SENCo accreditation.

If a child is known to the local authority prior to starting school training will be identified through either an TPA, Transition Partnership Agreement or an Educational Health Care Plan. Training may be carried out by representatives of the local education authority or a local medical team.  At these times training will be personalised and may only include a small number of staff.

There is at least one INSET day per year set aside for the SEN training for all staff; teachers, LSAs and often other support staff. The SENCo, HIAS advisors, Educational Psychologists or other professionals, may carry out training. These professionals are also available for ‘twilight’ training as part of staff meetings throughout the year.

 How accessible is your education setting (indoors and outdoors)?

The school is a single storey building with no steps or stairs. All the classrooms have level access to the outside areas.

The doors within the school can be left open for a wheelchair user to be able to move independently through the whole school. These doors will automatically close in the event of a fire.

There is an accessible toilet in school. The bathroom has a shower and a toilet that allows for transfer from the left or right.

The school works closely with the Specialist Advisory Teachers, STA, to make adaptions for individual pupils. Rise and fall tables are provided as well as specialist chairs, steps, footstools, augmentative technology (laptops etc.). Other equipment to access the curriculum, specialist grips, wedges, tools can be provided through liaison with other agencies.

How are parents carers/young people currently involved in your education setting? How can I get involved and who can I contact for further information?

We have an open door policy for all parents and they can speak to the class teacher at any time. However, we ask that parents don’t stop teachers before school in the mornings whilst they are collecting the children from the playground as they need to go indoors with their class to settle the children ready for the school day.

Parents’ evenings take place at least once per term and an individual child’s parents are invited to attend although parents are also able to request an appointment. A parent can request a meeting with a teacher and the SENCo at any time during the term, not just at a parent’s evening.

Children with additional needs who have an Inclusion Partnership Agreement, IPA, will have regular meetings with dates set at the end of each meeting. As well as parents and the SENCo the meetings may also be attended by health, social care or education professionals, HSLW, ELSA, class teacher and LSA. Before children attend these meetings they have the opportunity to discuss and record their views with their LSA who is also able to support them in the meeting, along with the parents.

Yr. R parents and children have a series of meetings at the school during the summer term before starting school. Relevant staff will visit pre-schools to discuss the needs of all children with some individual children having additional meetings and visits to enable their needs to be fully discussed, understood and planned for at Holbrook Primary School.

What steps should I take if I have a concern about the school’s SEND provision?

If the class teacher has not been able to answer the concern in detail, you are advised to speak to the SENCo. Should it be necessary, the head teacher would be the next point of contact and then the chair of Governors. A copy of the complaints procedure is available on request from the school office and can also be found on the school’s website.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

The school works closely with educational psychologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, social workers, school nurses, paediatricians, health visitors, speech therapists and the primary mental health team.

Within the school, there are specialists with additional training to support pupils with hearing impairments, autism, speech language and communication difficulties including signing (BSL) and emotional and behavioural difficulties.

The SENCo and the Home School Link Support Worker are key people to signpost parents to other agencies for additional support. The SENCo identifies and can make referrals to agencies to support the education of the children whilst the Home School Link Worker can support parents with their needs that may otherwise impact negatively on the child at school, including housing and social concerns.

How will the school prepare and support my child / young person to join the school, transfer to a new school, or transition to the next stage of life?

We hope that parents will tell us about their child’s needs as soon as they visit us. This will help us to make links with the school or preschool setting the child already attends. The SENCo and/or the Year R teacher will arrange to visit the child in their preschool setting and attend any meetings such as Transition Partnership Arrangements, TPAs. The Home School Link Worker is available to work with and reassure parents about the quality of support the children will receive.  Extra transition visits to school can be arranged where appropriate. 1 to 1 LSAs meet with the child before s/he starts school.

The same process applies to the child/ young person who is moving on from Holbrook Primary School. The SENCo takes responsibility for writing TPAs for children leaving the school, in conjunction with the class teacher.

Copies of TPAs are sent to parents, class teachers, receiving or previous schools, educational psychologists, Senior Special needs officer.

Where can I get further information about services for my child/young person?

The resources and provision of Holbrook Primary School is included in the wider provision of Hampshire County Council and can be found as part of Hampshire’s Local Offer.